Monday, September 29, 2008

The Hazards of Text Messaging

According to a Nielsen Mobile survey released last week, Americans now text more than they talk. The numbers are fascinating because it is the first time in history this has happened--and it wasn't even close. In the second quarter, mobile customers sent and received an average of 357 texts per month compared to an average of 204 calls for the same period.

Why is this important?

Because text messaging has turned into a convenient way for many people to avoid otherwise difficult or potentially unpleasant conversations.

Text messaging is wonderful for confirming plans, getting directions, and witty exchanges. The convenience and fun make it easy to see how people get hooked. But there is definitely a limit.

While it would be unrealistic and inappropriate to expect everyone to operate with the same principles I strive to live by, there are certain standards of behavior it would be wonderful to see more people adopt. For example, I will not use text messages (or emails) for any conversation that could be emotionally charged for either party.

I have quite a few friends who routinely use texting as a way to cancel dates or other engagements. This is not an acceptable use of texting because it shows no concern whatsoever for the feelings of the other person. Using text messaging in this way actually communicates a second, and far more damaging message, than simply canceling a date:

"I've decided I don't want to see you, but I lack the courage to say it over the phone where I might have to explain myself or hear your disappointment. So, I'm going to take the easy way out and send you a text message. This way I can put it out of my mind and not have to deal with it."

This is LAME.

Having been on the receiving end, I can tell you firsthand this approach is FAR worse than if the person handled it the thoughtful way and made a phone call. When it happened, I was sad and disappointed. But I got over it. Looking back, it was also a gift. Why? Because this behavior says a lot about the person's integrity and communication skills--or lack thereof. This is not the kind of person I want to be involved with romantically or otherwise.

The more technologies like text messaging give us opportunities to hide from difficult conversations, the more we have to consciously avoid the easy out. Our reputations depend on it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat traffic[/URL], You are far from alone if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or little-understood ways to generate an income online.

Anonymous said...

I suggest that you write about another hazard which is the grammar and spelling of people who text. Texting has been very fun for people like me but there are times when we hve to text long messages so we use the shortcut method like this: hi. Hw r u? Something like that. It affects the children's way of spelling words. I hope I helped. ^^